Lizza’s first Pilot Party last Friday night was a wild success. Not only did we get to see stuff that was and wasn’t picked up, but Lizza provided us with all kinds of info only an insider could have. Here are some highlights from Halley K’s fabu notes:
· NBC is going back to FAMILY shows this year
· Focus Groups = Networks test pilots to groups representing “Middle America”
· If you can even get ONE LINE on a pilot – BE HAPPY! EVERYONE in the industry has to watch all the pilots!!! You now have a red flag as someone to watch for!!
· One executive has his four and seven year old children watch shows – and if they don’t laugh, he will pass on the show!
· [Casting offices] look at who you trained with if you have no credits on your resume. Sometimes who you trained with is more important than your AGENCY!
o Lesly: DID YOU HEAR THAT? I AM MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR AGENT!
· Something done in casting: Who can we get that’s strong to surround the main characters – if the main characters are not so strong? AKA masking the weaker acting
· Tentpole Shows: airing an already popular TV show with something unknown/new in the hopes that people who watch the popular show will stick around to watch the other show.
· When you’re a costar, guest star, or have one line, know your place in a scene and in the world of the show
· With pilots, the story needs to go somewhere NOW. We can’t just seeing a show possibly going somewhere EVENTUALLY.
Next Pilot Party? July 27! Stay tuned!